VATICAN - Pope Francis meets with Cardinal Fernando Filoni, his Envoy in Iraq
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday evening the Holy Father received Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and newly appointed Personal Envoy of the Pope in Iraq, in Santa Marta, to show his closeness to the people, and especially to Christians, severely affected by the current conflict and who are most in need of support and encouragement .
The Cardinal informed the Pope on the preparation of his mission and his imminent departure.
The Pope expressed his feelings to the Cardinal with regards to the ongoing tragic events - feelings already expressed publicly by him several times in recent days - and gave him his personal recommendations for the mission, and a sum to be used for urgent aid to the people most affected, as a sign of concrete solidarity. A meeting with the highest national authorities and the Kurdish Region has also been scheduled. (Agenzia Fides 11/08/2014)
- 2015-05-25 - The Pope's Message for World Mission Day 2015
- 2015-05-21 - The Pope recalls the Day of Prayer for the Church in China on May 24
- 2015-05-18 - Archbishop Romero will be the patron of Caritas Internationalis
- 2015-05-04 - Cardinal Filoni ordains 14 deacons from Africa and Asia: "you must have a missionary heart"
- 2015-04-29 - For a "Christian commitment" in the fight against human trafficking
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"
- 2015-04-09 - Cardinal Filoni: Iraqi families all expect to be able to return to their homes, and we are ready to help them start over
- 2015-04-08 - Easter 2015: "Our brothers and sisters are persecuted, exiled, killed and beheaded simply because they are Christians, they are our martyrs of today"
- 2015-03-30 - The Pope: "We think of our brothers and sisters who are persecuted because they are Christians, the martyrs of our own time"
- 2015-03-27 - Cardinal Filoni returns to Iraq to express the closeness and affection of the Pope to displaced families