ASIA/HOLY LAND - In Gaza a child dies every hour. There is no electricity, water and essential medical services
Gaza (Agenzia Fides) - The wave of violence does not stop and the humanitarian crisis is severely affecting the population of the Gaza Strip, in particular children (see Fides 25/07/2014). So far at least 408 have died and 2,500 others injured. Palestinian children constitute half of the total of 1.8 million people living in the affected area. 70% of these deaths correspond to young people under the age of 12; approximately 900,000 children under 12 are still living a nightmare, many have been seriously maimed. Other 370,000 are in urgent need of psychological help. In addition, due to the exhaustion of fuel, nearly one million children have been left without electricity, water and medical services. Health facilities are collapsing due to the increase of premature births, trauma and lack of medicine. Because of air strikes against the only power station in Gaza, residents are receiving electricity for up to two hours a day. Water supplies have not been delivered, sewage pumps do not work causing more serious concerns about the possible spread of disease in overcrowded shelters. The total collapse of the health system and infrastructure in Gaza would be catastrophic for children who are already paying with their lives: a child dies every hour. According to a report of the UN Office for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), since the conflict began in Tel Aviv about 2,000 people have died, mostly civilians. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/08/2014)
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem
- 2015-02-12 - Palestinian Mayors: the Wall in the Cremisan Valley will suffocate the presence of Christians
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars