AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Prevention to fight against the new phenomenon of 'micro-trafficking' of drugs
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - According to the latest estimates, in Bolivia there is the lowest rate of drug use, a little over 3% of the population makes use of drugs. However, the situation is far from positive, particularly for street children, easy victims of 'micro traffickers'. In the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, there are nearly 1,000 children who live in this situation. They run away from their families because of the ill-treatment they suffer and they seek refuge in drugs to forget.
They stop at traffic lights in the city to beg in order to survive. Many would like to return home but are afraid of being beaten by their parents. Fear increases during the night on the streets because of police harassment and the possibility of being robbed of what little they have managed to scrape together. At first, drugs seem to be a haven for all their problems. And, while drug dealers get richer, the victims are condemned to live as refugees in precarious places, under bridges. In addition, the marginalized and the victims of poverty are found to consume cheaper and more deadly drugs. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/08/2014)
- 2014-10-11 - Mission Month: schools in Sucre also go on missions
- 2014-10-02 - The priority for the Auxiliary Bishop of Reyes: "Working to be a single Christian community"
- 2014-09-04 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Catholic Bishops of Bolivia and Peru take communications course “For a culture of encounter”
- 2014-08-05 - National holiday: the Church hopes for unity and peace, in view of the forthcoming elections
- 2014-08-04 - Prevention to fight against the new phenomenon of 'micro-trafficking' of drugs
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace