AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "The escalation of violence must stop": is the appeal launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC), Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga. The Archbishop said that the Church condemns the escalation of violence that has been going on in the country in recent weeks and reiterated that this scenario "should not mean a setback to the peace negotiations that are taking place in Havana".
The note sent to Fides by CEC reports that Mgr. Castro Quiroga has acknowledged that it is "a difficult challenge for the state" because the Armed Forces should put a limit to attacks without compromising the peace process.
In the past two weeks there have been attacks carried out by FARC and ELN against state infrastructure such as transportation, waterworks and electricity transmission towers. President Santos has launched a warning concerning the "situation which has exceeded the limit of tolerance", which could stop peace dialogue.
The national community condemns violence because the last attack (yesterday evening in Cauca) caused much damage and the death of a two-year-old child. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2014)
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery
- 2015-03-18 - Elections: the Archbishop of Medellin urges the socio-political formation of the community
- 2015-03-10 - "Weapons, from security to threat for the family, must be eliminated" asks the Archbishop of Medellin
- 2015-03-04 - Meeting of Bishops Emeritus
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”