AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "The escalation of violence must stop": is the appeal launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC), Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga. The Archbishop said that the Church condemns the escalation of violence that has been going on in the country in recent weeks and reiterated that this scenario "should not mean a setback to the peace negotiations that are taking place in Havana".
The note sent to Fides by CEC reports that Mgr. Castro Quiroga has acknowledged that it is "a difficult challenge for the state" because the Armed Forces should put a limit to attacks without compromising the peace process.
In the past two weeks there have been attacks carried out by FARC and ELN against state infrastructure such as transportation, waterworks and electricity transmission towers. President Santos has launched a warning concerning the "situation which has exceeded the limit of tolerance", which could stop peace dialogue.
The national community condemns violence because the last attack (yesterday evening in Cauca) caused much damage and the death of a two-year-old child. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2014)
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"