AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "The escalation of violence must stop": is the appeal launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC), Mgr. Luis Augusto Castro Quiroga. The Archbishop said that the Church condemns the escalation of violence that has been going on in the country in recent weeks and reiterated that this scenario "should not mean a setback to the peace negotiations that are taking place in Havana".
The note sent to Fides by CEC reports that Mgr. Castro Quiroga has acknowledged that it is "a difficult challenge for the state" because the Armed Forces should put a limit to attacks without compromising the peace process.
In the past two weeks there have been attacks carried out by FARC and ELN against state infrastructure such as transportation, waterworks and electricity transmission towers. President Santos has launched a warning concerning the "situation which has exceeded the limit of tolerance", which could stop peace dialogue.
The national community condemns violence because the last attack (yesterday evening in Cauca) caused much damage and the death of a two-year-old child. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2014)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors