ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Forgiveness of Assisi dedicated to peace in the Middle East
Assisi (Agenzia Fides) - The "Forgiveness of Assisi", the feast held on August 2, which is celebrated in the "Portiuncula", in the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, in Assisi will be dedicated to peace in the Middle East, especially in the Holy Land and the Gaza Strip. During the day, the faithful receive the plenary indulgence, according to a practice that dates back to St. Francis of Assisi, in the presence of thousands of pilgrims. As reported to Fides Agency, this year the Day will have a particular prayer intention: the end of war and hostilities in the Holy Land, said the bishop of the diocese of Assisi-Nocera Umbra-Gualdo Tadino, Mgr. Domenico Sorrentino, Friars Minor of Assisi.
The Bishop, who will preside over the Eucharistic celebration in the Basilica on August 2, said in a note sent to Fides: "The visit of Pope Francis in the Holy Land and especially the prayer he shared in the Vatican with Shimon Peres and Abu Mazen aroused many hopes. But disappointment continues, with the outbreak of the conflict in Gaza, once again with the outcome of deaths and rubble". The Bishop asks: "Has prayer also been defeated? In 1986, Pope John Paul II inaugurated the 'spirit of Assisi' as a prayer for peace. A prayer in which he raised his voice, shouting that God is synonymous with peace, and not war. And on October 27 we will collect that challenge in a meeting entitled 'The initiative of Pope Francis for peace in Israel: What future?' ". "On the occasion of the Feast of Forgiveness – adds Mgr. Sorrentino - we want to pray for just and lasting peace in the Holy Land. The call to prayer is also a call to conversion. Where reason is blinded and feelings embittered, only the Spirit of God can enter. The "spirit of Assisi" is more alive than ever and we – concludes Mgr. Sorrentino - want to invoke it for the Holy Land on the occasion of the Forgiveness of the Portiuncula". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2014)
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem
- 2015-02-12 - Palestinian Mayors: the Wall in the Cremisan Valley will suffocate the presence of Christians
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars