ASIA/SYRIA - Aleppo, missile at the Armenian Catholic Church. Three dead
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday afternoon a missile launched from the areas of Aleppo controlled by the rebels fell in the area of the Armenian Catholic parish of the Holy Trinity, in the district of al-Meydan, causing the death of three Armenian adults, two sisters and a man. The missile damaged the wall, a terrace of the rectory and broke the windows of the church also causing damage to an altar where there is a statue of the Virgin Mary from Marash, symbol city of the Armenian Genocide. "It was around 6.15pm and in that moment" refers to Fides Agency Fr. Joseph Bezouzou "we were in church to celebrate daily Mass. If the missile had fallen at the exit of the Mass, it would have been a massacre. We thank the Lord". The parish had organized for next weekend a gathering of young people, in order to ease the tremendous tension that has accompanied their everyday life for years. "We have decided to postpone everything", says Fr. Bezouzou "because after what happened you cannot expose young people to new risks. But on Sunday, after Mass, we will plant an olive tree in the place where the missile fell. This is our only response to the bombs and violence that for years have tried to devastate our lives". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 31/07/2014)
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers