ASIA/SYRIA - Pax Christi International: the arms trade fuels the Syrian conflict
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The bloody conflict in Syria will continue until international actors continue to feed it with the sale of arms. And any serious attempt to put a stop to the mindless violence that has been ravaging the Country for more than three years has to start from the promotion of serious political negotiations and the interruption of the flow of weapons from various sources that continue to supply opposing fronts. These are clear considerations contained in a widespread appeal by Pax Christi International to bring the community and international bodies to implement measures and initiatives to combat those who continue to bankroll the conflict in Syria with instruments of death. "International actors, including governments", reads the text sent to Fides Agency "are fueling the armed conflict by supplying or financing weapons and ammunition, training combatants and even sending military contingents to one or more sides. Some think-tanks have made efforts to document arms transfers but, in general, there is a serious lack of accountability in this regard". Accordng to Pax Christi, arms transfers have continued throughout the war with levels of international involvement that suggest a "proxy war" fought in Syria by external, regional and global powers. To increase the chances of putting an end to the Syrian conflict - said Pax Christi International in its appeal - the first step to be taken is to impose, through the Security Council or the UN General Assembly, a global embargo on arms flows towards Syria. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - Assad: "Putin is the only defender of Christian civilization"
- 2015-11-17 - Pax Christi: need to put an end to the support to jihadist groups
- 2015-11-11 - Assyrian associations denounce the violence and abuse of Kurdish forces
- 2015-11-07 - The jihadist Islamic State release 37 other Assyrian hostages of the valley of Khabur
- 2015-10-28 - Russian delegation meets representatives of Churches and religious communities
- 2015-10-27 - Father Murad speaks of his captivity
- 2015-10-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – A shell hits Latin Church in Aleppo during the celebration of Mass. Bishop Abou Khazen: it could have been a massacre
- 2015-10-26 - violence and human rights: lessons in peace building in war zones.
- 2015-10-23 - Christians in Hassakè denounce attempts to expropriate properties of emigrants
- 2015-10-20 - Offensive in Aleppo. Archbishop Marayati: we pay the price of the 'Holy Wars' carried out by others