ASIA/SYRIA - Pax Christi International: the arms trade fuels the Syrian conflict
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The bloody conflict in Syria will continue until international actors continue to feed it with the sale of arms. And any serious attempt to put a stop to the mindless violence that has been ravaging the Country for more than three years has to start from the promotion of serious political negotiations and the interruption of the flow of weapons from various sources that continue to supply opposing fronts. These are clear considerations contained in a widespread appeal by Pax Christi International to bring the community and international bodies to implement measures and initiatives to combat those who continue to bankroll the conflict in Syria with instruments of death. "International actors, including governments", reads the text sent to Fides Agency "are fueling the armed conflict by supplying or financing weapons and ammunition, training combatants and even sending military contingents to one or more sides. Some think-tanks have made efforts to document arms transfers but, in general, there is a serious lack of accountability in this regard". Accordng to Pax Christi, arms transfers have continued throughout the war with levels of international involvement that suggest a "proxy war" fought in Syria by external, regional and global powers. To increase the chances of putting an end to the Syrian conflict - said Pax Christi International in its appeal - the first step to be taken is to impose, through the Security Council or the UN General Assembly, a global embargo on arms flows towards Syria. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-10-12 - Father Jihad (Community of Deir Mar Musa): we thank Christians and Muslims who prayed for the release of father Murad
- 2015-10-08 - The jihadists release the video of the execution of three Assyrian hostages
- 2015-10-07 - Video released on the Christians in Qaryatayn who sign a "protection pact"
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims