AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
Juigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The meeting of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua began yesterday, July 29, in the city of Juigalpa, capital of the department of Chontales. As sources of Fides in the country note, "all citizens of Nicaragua await a word of encouragement from the leaders of the Catholic Church".
Although this is an ordinary meeting of the Bishops' Conference (which will continue until July 31), in which the bishops address the problems of ecclesiastical interest, it is almost certain that they will offer a reflection on the situation that the country is experiencing.
The confirmation came from the president of the episcopate, the bishop of the diocese of Juigalpa (Chontales), Mgr. René Sócrates Sándigo Jirón, who announced that the bishops will analyze the situation, propose paths and offer Christian-oriented solutions.
In fact, the national community still feels the tension caused by the criminal attack carried out on July 19, (see Fides 22/07/2014), and the interventions of the police in cities across the country, to look for the perpetrators of this crime. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/07/2014)
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"