ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - Pope Francis phoned the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans, Louis Raphael I Sako to manifest his participation and closeness to the suffering of the Iraqi people, starting from Mosul Christians expelled from the city by the self-proclaimed militants of the "Islamic Caliphate". The phone call took place on Friday morning, July 25. The Bishop of Rome - as reported by official sources of the Chaldean Patriarchate - thanked Patriarch Louis Raphael for guiding the Christian people in this period, and expressed his affection for all Christians in Iraq, urging them to keep their faith alive.
Meanwhile, authoritative sources of the Chaldean Church deny the rumors that the militia of the Islamic Caliphate, after having destroyed the Mosque of Jonah in Mosul, have also destroyed the Chaldean church dedicated to the Holy Spirit.
"In the difficult times that we are living" says the Chaldean bishop of Mosul Amel Shamon Nona to Fides Agency "a further cause for concern and bitterness is represented by alarmism caused by unscrupulous people who spread false news that also touches the fate of Christians. Statements and interviews in recent days that I have never released have also been attributed to me. It is a disturbing phenomenon". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 26/07/2014)
ASIA/IRAQ – POPE FRANCIS CALLS THE CHALDEAN PATRIARCH. RUMORS ABOUT THE DESTRUCTION OF CHURCHES IN MOSUL HAVE BEEN DENIED
- 2014-11-20 - New jihadist blackmail for Christians in Mosul: If you do not pay, your houses will be blown up
- 2014-11-20 - Chaldean Patriarch to Muslims: The barbarous acts committed in the name of Islam recalls Nazism. And your reactions are weak
- 2014-11-19 - Christian houses looted also by the Kurdish Peshmerga militias
- 2014-11-11 - A Mass celebrated again in the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-11 - Displaced persons remain isolated and without support due to violence
- 2014-11-07 - The furniture of Christian homes put up for sale in the markets of Mosul
- 2014-11-06 - The Chaldean diocese of Erbil conducts a census of the refugees who fled from the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-04 - The Church of St. Ephrem in Mosul could soon be transformed into a mosque
- 2014-11-03 - The Chaldean Patriarch: from Iraqi Premier full support to the Christian communities
- 2014-10-29 - More than 700 Christian families among the refugees welcomed in Baghdad,