ASIA/IRAQ - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
Tilkif (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday evening, Tuesday 22 July, the militia of the self-proclaimed Islamic Caliphate responsible for the expulsion of Christians and Shiites from the city of Mosul launched a mortar attack against the village of Tilkif in an attempt to break into one of the towns in the Nineveh Plain, where families found refuge. "The attack started from a village controlled by jihadists – says Chaldean priest Paul Thabit Mekko to Fides Agency - but was rejected by the Kurdish Peshmerga troops. In the night panic had driven dozens of Christian families to flee to Dohuk, but the Kurdish soldiers who were controlling a checkpoint told them that the situation was under control and could return home".
The episode highlights the uncertainty that hangs over the whole area: on the one hand, the attack represents the proof that the militia of the Islamic Caliphate are not content with controlling Mosul and would like to extend control over the Nineveh Plain. "But the reaction of the Peshmerga - notes Fr. Thabit Mekko - confirms that the Kurds are determined to protect this area from jihadist militants. Here, now, there are only Kurdish military forces that ensure the safety of the population". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2014)
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University