ASIA/IRAQ - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated
Mosul (Agenzia Fides) - The jihadist militiamen of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), who since June 9 control Mosul and have proclaimed the Islamic Caliphate, have ordered civil servants to suspend any provision of food aid and gas cylinders to the Shiites, the Kurds and the few remaining Christians in Iraq's second city. This is confirmed to Fides Agency by Christian sources in Mosul, after the news had been launched by the Arab website www.ankawa.com. According to what was reported by the local official Fadel Younis, representatives of the Islamic Caliphate have announced that any infringement of the prohibition will be punished on the basis of rules attributed to the Sharia.
In the city of northern Iraq - confirm sources of the Chaldean Patriarchate to Fides - even houses abandoned by the baptized are "marked" with the first letter of the Arabic word Nazarat (Christian).
Meanwhile in Baghdad MPs have elected the Sunni, Salim al-Jubouri as President of Parliament. Therefore the Iraqi political class is trying to start the process for the formation of a new government, while a third of the Country remains under the control of Islamist militias of the ISIL. In the last hours the army has launched an offensive to regain control of the city of Tikrit, the hometown of Sadddam Hussein, largely occupied by the ISIL in recent weeks. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2014)
- 2015-10-01 - The Synod of the Chaldean Church convened in Rome at the end of October
- 2015-09-28 - The New Assyrian Patriarch during the inauguration ceremony: religious language must be put at the service of peace
- 2015-09-21 - New Assyrian Patriarch elected. And the patriarchal seat could return to Iraq
- 2015-09-14 - Nineveh Plain, Christians in Alqosh in procession for the feast of the Holy Cross
- 2015-09-10 - Inauguaration of the Diocesan Museum in Bassora
- 2015-08-31 - Chaldean Patriarchate delivers a dossier on the abuses suffered by Christians in Baghdad to the authorities
- 2015-08-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to Iraqi political leaders: integrate the voluntary militias in the army
- 2015-08-24 - A committee against abuse and violence against Christians has been set up
- 2015-08-08 - "We are hated because we persist in wanting to exist as Christians", testimony of Mgr. Warda
- 2015-08-06 - A year ago ISIS expelled Christians from the Nineveh plain