ASIA/IRAQ - The Chaldean nuns and the children released, "a sign of hope for all"
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - On the afternoon of Monday, July 14 the two Chaldean nuns and three young children - two girls and a boy - who were seized on June 28 last in Mosul, were released. Their captors were linked to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, Sunni jihadists linked to al-Qaeda). The five - sources of the Chaldean Patriarchate of Baghdad confirm - left Mosul, and returned to Dohuk, in Iraqi Kurdistan. "Sister Atur, Sister Miskinta and the three children are doing well", reported the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans, Louis Raphael I Sako to Fides Agency, "and their return to freedom is a sign of hope for all, that comforts souls in this difficult period".
The Primate of the Chaldean Church reports to Fides significant details on the five days spent in the hands of those who had kidnapped them: "The nuns and the children" says Patriarch Louis Raphael I, "were kept in a house, they were given food and were not treated badly. During those days they prayed a lot. They recited lauds, vespers and the rosary for their own liberation and for peace in Iraq. We also found out that during the conversations with those who had kidnapped them, the nuns answered with serenity and courage on all the issues raised, giving reason for their hope". The Patriarch confirms that no ransom was paid for their release. The captors took their car, and ransacked the home for orphans run by the nuns.
Due to the offensive of the Sunni insurgents led by Islamist militants of ISILl, which began on June 9, the nuns and all the guests had left the city and had found refuge in the city of Mosul Dohuk. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV