ASIA/IRAQ - Churches in Kirkuk assist Muslim refugees during Ramadan
Kirkuk (Agenzia Fides) - In the city of Kirkuk, the Churches are intensely engaged in assisting refugees - mainly Muslims – who have fled from Mosul and villages that are under the control of Sunni insurgents in the north of Iraq. Local sources consulted by Fides Agency, reported that all economic resources from the Chaldean Church are intended for the daily distribution of food parcels to more than 500 families of internally displaced persons who are housed in mosques, schools, sports centers and hostels. Christian families who arrived in Kirkuk after the offensive of the insurgent militiamen - led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) - are less than fifty. In the coming days the Chaldean community in Kirkuk should inaugurate a new initiative designed to distribute air conditioners to families living crammed into tight spaces, partially to make the sweltering heat sustainable.
Ever since 9 June, Kirkuk is under the full control of the Kurdish Peshmerga militia. The Kurdish soldiers have organized two lines of defense around the city that have so far dissuaded military attacks and incursions by the Sunni militias in action in north Iraq's convulsive scenery. The city does not even live the problems of water supply and energy that have struck villages in Mosul and Nineveh Plain. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"