ASIA/IRAQ - Churches in Kirkuk assist Muslim refugees during Ramadan
Kirkuk (Agenzia Fides) - In the city of Kirkuk, the Churches are intensely engaged in assisting refugees - mainly Muslims – who have fled from Mosul and villages that are under the control of Sunni insurgents in the north of Iraq. Local sources consulted by Fides Agency, reported that all economic resources from the Chaldean Church are intended for the daily distribution of food parcels to more than 500 families of internally displaced persons who are housed in mosques, schools, sports centers and hostels. Christian families who arrived in Kirkuk after the offensive of the insurgent militiamen - led by the jihadists of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) - are less than fifty. In the coming days the Chaldean community in Kirkuk should inaugurate a new initiative designed to distribute air conditioners to families living crammed into tight spaces, partially to make the sweltering heat sustainable.
Ever since 9 June, Kirkuk is under the full control of the Kurdish Peshmerga militia. The Kurdish soldiers have organized two lines of defense around the city that have so far dissuaded military attacks and incursions by the Sunni militias in action in north Iraq's convulsive scenery. The city does not even live the problems of water supply and energy that have struck villages in Mosul and Nineveh Plain. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2014)
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"