AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
Criciuma (Agenzia Fides) - "The issue of immigrants needs immediate responses, which go beyond hospitality. In the daily work of the parishes, we need more support for immigrants", said Fr. Onécimo Alberton, president of Caritas Criciuma (Brazil), in the meeting convened by the diocese to identify common actions for the emergency of immigrants.
A note sent to Fides by the Pontifical Mission Societies of Brazil mentions the meeting that involved organisms present in the diocese to discuss the matter. The Secretary General of the diocesan Caritas, Neuza Mafra, presented the case of the Haitian people: "The arrival of Haitians is due to the 2010 earthquake. Haiti has strong ties with Brazil, which has participated in the UN mission in the country since 2004. The Brazilian Government, at an international level, has defended the immigration policies based on human rights, unlike developed countries that have taken different positions", he said.
The assembly noted that the phenomenon of migration goes beyond the work of the Church. Many parishes are already promoting donations of food and clothing, Portuguese lessons. But other challenges must be addressed, such as legal issues and violation of labor laws. According to data provided by the Commission for Human Mobility, currently over two million immigrants are residing in Brazil. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2014)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI