ASIA/MYANMAR - Change starts from education, says the Archbishop of Mandalay
Mandalay (Agenzia Fides) - "A great change is taking place in our country. In several cities, where there were houses made of wood and bamboo, buildings made of concrete are increasing. In the perception of many, this is a sign of progress. But the biggest change, among the new buildings, are colleges and private educational institutions, created to respond to the deep interest in education. This is a development that is truly rewarding". This is what His Exc. Mgr. Paul Grawng, Archbishop of Mandalay said in a note sent to Fides Agency speaking on the theme of education, which is crucial for the life and future of a people.
"Many are taking the opportunity to realize the true value that is the formation of the heart and mind of citizens, essential for integral human development", notes the Archbishop. "This reminds me of the little Bible school I had the privilege of visiting 40 years ago, in a parish located in a remote, mountainous area. There, an elderly pastor was concerned about building the future of young people, in a humble bamboo structure. It was quite a challenge, dedicated to children of nearby villages. The elderly Pastor showed great love for God and his people, teaching students the Word of God, cultural and moral values, but also the rudiments of English, French, music and culture in general. That little school helped young people of the mountains to live a decent life, in harmony with nature and with the cultural values of the community. Those indigenous peoples were wonderfully close to the Gospel".
Mgr. Paul Grawng concludes: "Now, in this new era of change, we are called to support new learning centers and educational institutions that are springing up, so that they can help to educate people, and believe that they can live in truth and freedom". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2014)
- 2014-11-14 - The poor and vulnerable children in the Country seek refuge in Thailand
- 2014-10-30 - The Jesuits: "To be companions for indigenous peoples"
- 2014-09-26 - The Burmese army releases over a hundred child soldiers
- 2014-08-19 - End of the war and federal solution: the Burmese Bishops' appeal
- 2014-07-30 - Archbishop Bo: "Unity and peace for the family of Myanmar"
- 2014-07-04 - Change starts from education, says the Archbishop of Mandalay
- 2014-06-13 - The proposed anti-conversion bill poses a threat to religious freedom
- 2014-06-10 - Three years of war and abuse on ethnic minorities: appeal for peace by civil society
- 2014-05-30 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Blessed father Vergara and Blessed Isidoro will give “impulse to vocations and to mission”
- 2014-05-13 - Hunger, malnutrition and debts for the population of the "dry zone"