ASIA/MYANMAR - Change starts from education, says the Archbishop of Mandalay
Mandalay (Agenzia Fides) - "A great change is taking place in our country. In several cities, where there were houses made of wood and bamboo, buildings made of concrete are increasing. In the perception of many, this is a sign of progress. But the biggest change, among the new buildings, are colleges and private educational institutions, created to respond to the deep interest in education. This is a development that is truly rewarding". This is what His Exc. Mgr. Paul Grawng, Archbishop of Mandalay said in a note sent to Fides Agency speaking on the theme of education, which is crucial for the life and future of a people.
"Many are taking the opportunity to realize the true value that is the formation of the heart and mind of citizens, essential for integral human development", notes the Archbishop. "This reminds me of the little Bible school I had the privilege of visiting 40 years ago, in a parish located in a remote, mountainous area. There, an elderly pastor was concerned about building the future of young people, in a humble bamboo structure. It was quite a challenge, dedicated to children of nearby villages. The elderly Pastor showed great love for God and his people, teaching students the Word of God, cultural and moral values, but also the rudiments of English, French, music and culture in general. That little school helped young people of the mountains to live a decent life, in harmony with nature and with the cultural values of the community. Those indigenous peoples were wonderfully close to the Gospel".
Mgr. Paul Grawng concludes: "Now, in this new era of change, we are called to support new learning centers and educational institutions that are springing up, so that they can help to educate people, and believe that they can live in truth and freedom". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Blasphemy laws undermine the rule of law
- 2015-07-20 - Cardinal Bo to the leaders of the nation: "Be good parents"
- 2015-05-28 - Radical Buddhist groups: "The Rohingya are not Burmese"
- 2015-05-25 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Cardinal Bo to the Burmese Government: "Compassion and mercy towards the boat people"
- 2015-03-04 - Cardinal Bo: "The seven swords that pierce Mary's heart in Myanmar"
- 2015-01-29 - "Remove a cross in the state of Chin": the order worries Christians
- 2015-01-23 - No to impunity for rape and murder of Kachin women
- 2015-01-08 - The Church joyfully welcomes the appointment of the first Burmese Cardinal in history
- 2014-11-25 - In the process of reforms underway, even the release of child soldiers
- 2014-11-24 - Bishops' Message for the Jubilee: "A new season of hope"