AMERICA/MEXICO - "To intervene effectively to stop the violence in Michoacán": the Bishops’ request
Apatzingán (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Mexico have asked the federal, state and municipal authorities to carry out an urgent, rapid and effective action against abductions, kidnappings, murders and bribes that affect the dignity and property of many people in the communities of Michoacán. Through a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Mexican Episcopal Conference (CEM), in the person of its President, the Archbishop of Guadalajara, Cardinal Francisco Robles Ortega, and the Secretary-General, the Auxiliary Bishop of Puebla, Mgr. Eugenio Lira Rugarcía, has expressed his support for the statement made by Mgr. Miguel Patiño Velazquez, Bishop of Apatzingán, who, a few days ago, denounced the situation the community and the population in the state of Michoacan live in, and in particular in the valley of Apatzingán.
The area of Michoacan is in fact one of the most violent in Mexico (see Fides 06/08/2013), many times there have been talks of a Strategic Security Plan (see Fides 05/06/2013 ), but the situation has not changed, on the contrary it seems to worsen by the day (see Fides 07/08/2013 ) .
The document of the Mexican Episcopal Conference denounces the violent situation in which people live and the obstacles regarding the pastoral work of the Church due to the threats of organized crime. Therefore the Bishops launch an appeal for a quick and effective action on behalf of the authorities, inviting everyone to stop the violence by proposing a culture of respect for the rule of law and peace. Finally, the Church is committed to the reconstruction of the social fabric and to provide assistance to victims of violence. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root
- 2014-07-03 - Formation and spirituality for a missionary Church, engaged in society
- 2014-07-02 - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
- 2014-07-01 - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime