ASIA/IRAN - Iranians of different faiths: fasting and prayer in solidarity with the Syrian people
Tehran (Agenzia Fides) - Iranian citizens around the world, followers of Shia Islam, Christians, citizens of the Bahai faith, or lay people, all members of the organization "Iran Rights Watch" will fast tomorrow, September 7, and will pray privately for peace in Syria, especially in solidarity with the Syrian people: this was reported to Fides Agency by the Iranian activist Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, president of the NGO "Iran Human Rights", which promotes human rights and freedom in Iran. The NGO, which brings together many Iranians in diaspora, "appreciates the symbolic gesture of Pope Francis, and shall unite to show that we support the rights of the Syrian people", says the president. Reaffirming "the concern for the Syrian scenario, left to itself by the international community", Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam told Fides: "After many heinous crimes committed on the ground and the use of chemical weapons, we cannot remain indifferent. Something must be done to rescue the Syrian people".
"War is an adventure without return - he continues - the international community cannot passively watch the immense suffering of the Syrian people. We all agree with the Pope in averting a military intervention in Syria, but urge concrete efforts for a political solution. Unfortunately, today Syria is at the center of political pressures – he notes - and the matter has become very complicated".
Referring to the Iranian context, the NGO leader says: "I do not think that new Iranian president Rouhani can somehow change the foreign policy of the Islamic Republic, as it is up to the supreme spiritual leader to decide". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/09/2013)
- 2014-12-29 - Iranian aid convoys for Iraqi Christians ready to leave
- 2014-10-21 - Three evangelical Christians sentenced to six years imprisonment
- 2014-09-06 - Converts to Christianity still risk capital charges
- 2014-04-02 - ASIA/IRAN – Iranian Christian prisoner goes on hunger strike
- 2014-03-05 - A Christian Pastor released on bail
- 2014-01-30 - A Christian, in prison because "converted", has been released
- 2014-01-14 - Christians arrested in "house churches" at New Year and during the Christmas period
- 2013-12-03 - After the nuclear agreement, it is urgent to look at human rights in Iran
- 2013-11-09 - A Christian Iranian; rigorous imprisonment for a Pastor arrested unjustly
- 2013-11-08 - President Rohani: Iran and the Holy See together in the fight against extremism