AMERICA/UNITED STATES – The Bishops of Washington State push for the approval of the Immigration Act
Yakima (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic bishops of Washington state will issue a pastoral letter on Sunday, September 8th urging the U.S. Congress to approve the immigration reform. His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Tyson, Bishop of the Diocese of Yakima, said in a note sent to Fides Agency, that the letter insists on 6 important points "that political leaders must consider when deciding laws concerning immigration".
The document, according to the note, emphasizes the need for an urgent change of the system that regulates immigration, in order to pull 11 million people out of the shadow, who live without documents. The letter, which will be available in all the parishes in Washington next Sunday highlights the following topics: the path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, training programs for migrant workers on fundamental issues (health, education ...), increase visas for skilled workers, border security, changes in trade policy of the United States.
" Washington is known for Starbucks and Microsoft, but very little is said of agriculture that generates wealth for the state - said Mgr. Tyson - . Most of the people working in this field are migrant workers, and I am here because we need them". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/09/2013)
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government
- 2013-09-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Syria: Bishops’ practical suggestions to young people for non-violent protests
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES – The Bishops of Washington State push for the approval of the Immigration Act
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: "We adhere to the Holy Father’s appeal for a peaceful solution to the conflict in Syria"
- 2013-07-30 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Simply because we are a Catholic Church we are interested in the debate on immigration
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/COLORADO - Children hospitalized with respiratory crisis for having ingested marijuana
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops